cheader

View Syllabus Information

View Syllabus Information

  • Even after classes have commenced, course descriptions and online syllabus information may be subject to change according to the size of each class and the students' comprehension level.

main start

Course Information

Year 2017  School Center for International Education
Course Title
Summer Session (Politics I) 01

Instructor DABNEY, Dyron Keith
Term/Day/Period summer quarter  othersothers
Category Global Studies Eligible Year 1st year and above Credits 2
Classroom 実施場所未定 Campus waseda
Course Key 9800005013 Course Class Code 01
Main Language English
  Course Code POLX111L
First Academic disciplines Political Science
Second Academic disciplines Political Science
Third Academic disciplines Contemporary Politics/Political Process
Level Beginner, initial or introductory Types of lesson Lecture
  Open Courses

Syllabus Information

Latest Update:2017/01/31 10:52:46

Subtitle Contemporary Japanese Politics
Course Outline Japan remains a critical democracy among nations in Asia, yet its political history and makeup remain largely unknown to many Westerners. Students will ascertain a deeper appreciation for the institutional features of Japan that shape their political attitudes and political outcomes. By the completion of this course students also will comprehend the important domestic socio-political issues of Japan, and will acquire a fundamental understanding of the political history and political development of modern Japan.

This course offers an overview of the political structure and institutional processes of postwar Japan. The course begins with a historical narrative of Japan’s war and early postwar years, and continues with in-depth, critical inquiries into contemporary government and politics in Japan, including the Japanese decision-making bodies, electoral and party politics. Within the context of the political institutions, this course surveys Japanese political culture and society. An important objective of the course is to showcase political pluralism and democracy from a Japanese (i.e. non-Western) lens and context.

It is important to stay abreast of the day to day social, economic and political events in Japan available through any number of media sources. To that end, discussions about current political events will take regularly in class.
Objectives Students will develop a deeper appreciation for the institutional features of Japan that shape their political attitudes and political outcomes. By the completion of this course students also will comprehend the important domestic socio-political issues of Japan, and will acquire a fundamental understanding of the political history and political development of modern Japan.
Course Schedule
1:
Japan Now vs. Then: The Continued Global Relevance of Japan

2:
Political Culture and Society: Can Culture Explain Politics?


3:
Japan at War and Wartime Politics

4:
The Postwar Allied Power Occupation, Constitutionalism and Democracy

5:
The National Diet/Legislature

6:
The Prime Minister and Political Leadership

7:
The National Bureaucracy: Historical Power and Reform

8:
The "1955 System:" Japan’s Political Party System and Party Politics

9:
Economic Recovery and Rapid Growth, the “Reverse Course” and Prosperity

10:
Electoral Politics I: The Electoral System, Election Campaigning and Candidate Behavior

11:
Electoral Politics II: Election Campaigning and Candidate Behavior

12:
Electoral Politics III: Demographic and Generational Political Attitudes and Voting Behavior

13:
Collapse of the “1955 System,” Coalition Governance and the LDP resurgence

14:
Reforms and Revisions: Political Reform and Constitutional Re-Interpretation

15:
Status Group Politics and Political Activism

Textbooks The course will use either a text or simply make use of journal articles and book chapters via PDF.
Evaluation
Rate Evaluation Criteria
Exam: 55% First exam 25%, Second exam 30%, Total 55%
Papers: 20% One 5-page paper
Class Participation: 25% In-class participation (15%) and presentation of paper (10%)
Note / URL Main Language: English

Top of Page

Copyright © Media Network Center,Waseda University 2006-2017.All rights reserved.

read