cheader

View Syllabus Information

View Syllabus Information

  • Even after classes have commenced, course descriptions and online syllabus information may be subject to change according to the size of each class and the students' comprehension level.

main start

Course Information

Year 2019  School Center for International Education
Course Title
Summer Session (Politics I) 01

Instructor DABNEY, Dyron Keith
Term/Day/Period summer quarter  othersothers
Category Global Studies Eligible Year 1st year and above Credits 2
Classroom   Campus waseda
Course Key 9800005013 Course Class Code 01
Main Language English
  Course Code POLX111L
First Academic disciplines Political Science
Second Academic disciplines Political Science
Third Academic disciplines Contemporary Politics/Political Process
Level Beginner, initial or introductory Types of lesson Lecture
  Open Courses

Syllabus Information

Latest Update:2019/01/17 11:20:09

Subtitle Contemporary Japanese Politics
Course Outline As a leading democracy (the oldest in East Asia) and a G7 nation (#3 in the world), Japan, arguably should be positioned at, or near “center stage” of global politics. Yet, Japan has remained “offstage;” a politically comfortable space, until more recent postwar decades.  Thus, Japanese domestic politics remains wholly unfamiliar to occasional spectators of world politics.  This course makes the unfamiliar politics of Japan, familiar.  It begins with a historical reflection of Japan’s immediate postwar period.  It then continues with a “deep dive” into the contemporary political structure of Japan, inclusive of a critical overview of Japan’s political institutions, namely Japan’s National Diet, the Office of the Prime Minister and political parties.  Within this context of the political institutions, this course surveys Japanese political culture and society, national electoral politics, Japanese public opinion, voter behavior and public policy.  

Important notes:  This course includes several local field trips
It is important to stay abreast of the day-to-day social, economic and political events in Japan available through any number of media sources. To that end, discussions about current political events will take regularly in class.
Objectives Individuals enrolled in this course will develop a deeper appreciation for Japan’s political institutions that shape political attitudes and political outcomes. By the completion of the course, students will have a comprehensive understanding of contemporary politics in Japan and a stronger appreciation of contemporary domestic socio-political issues of Japan.
Course Schedule
1:
Japan Today: The Continued Global Relevance of Japan
:
2:
Political Culture and Society: Can Culture Explain Politics

:

3:
Japan at War and Wartime Politics
:
4:
The Postwar Allied Power Occupation
:
5:
Japan’s Constitution
:
6:
The National Diet/Legislature
:
7:
The National Bureaucracy: the Ebb and Flow of Political Power
:
8:
The “1955 System:” Japan’s Political Party System
:
9:
Political Party Development and Party Evolution
:
10:
Electoral Politics I: Japan’s Election System and Election Campaigns
:
11:
Electoral Politics II: Candidate Behavior and Party Behavior
:
12:
Japanese Political Attitudes and Voter Behavior
:
13:
Political Activism in Japan and Status Group Politics
:
14:
Constitutional Re-Interpretations and Revision: Where is Japan Headed?

15:
Conclusion
:
Textbooks The course will use either a text or simply make use of journal articles and book chapters via PDF.
Evaluation
Rate Evaluation Criteria
Exam: 55% First exam 25%, Second exam 30%, Total 55%
Papers: 20% One 5-page paper
Class Participation: 25% In-class participation (15%) and presentation of paper (10%)
Note / URL Main Language: English

Top of Page

Copyright © Media Network Center,Waseda University 2006-2019.All rights reserved.

read